Bill W4ZV wrote:

[about NR and SNR]

I've been watching this thread with interest. For a few years and several
different
radios, I've been repeating the same test:

1) Tune around with a bandwidth of about 400 Hz. Find a weak CW signal close to
the noise
which I can't copy 100%.

2) Try all the possible techniques to improve intelligibility, looking for the
ones that
improve the percentage of copy.

Here is what I've learned:

1) If there is a kind of noise that a NB will reduce, that helps.

2) If there is not too much noise, reducing the bandwidth further helps. I
sometimes go
down to 50 Hz. on the K3. But on a noisy band this makes it worse.

3) AFX doesn't matter one way or the other.

4) Dual-diversity reception (polarization diversity) *REALLY* helps. IMHO this
is one of
the K3's greatest features.

5) NR doesn't help with the weakest signals.

6) I can't decide what pitch is best. Usually I use around 500 Hz. but that's
because I
like the sound of it.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA