Also many browsers will flush the cache and refresh if you hold shift
while clicking refresh.

I think most of these problems stem from more and more ISPs starting
to use transparent caching proxy servers so they can over sell their
bandwidth to even higher points.  There isn't a whole lot that can be
done about that but they usually keep those servers off the FTP ports.
Seems that's starting to change though.