David,

Thanks for your input on this.  I understood pretty much correctly,
but appreciate your more complete explanation.

By "WAV", yes, I meant linear-coded whatever resolution.  I think
windoze Sound Recorder records files in this format.  They're huge...

As a function of my group's charter (at work), we sometimes run
distortion analyses on MP3 vs WAV files for plain voice phrasing.
They're used in turn-by-turn directions on vehicle navigation units.
We'll run the WAV file on the X (ref) axis, and the MP3 on the y axis
and snapshot different parts of the phrases with the display on
short-term average.  We've found differences of up to 10% distortion,
though whether it sounds that way to a human ear I have no idea.  I
suppose it depends on the recording format of the MP3 (resolution
again).  A 12-bit sample looks the worst - easily naked eye visible.
In practice, we use 16-bit sampling at 16 KHz for all non-Text To
Speech pronuciations.  This seems to work best and whatever distortion
there is can't be heard by anyone I've tested.

I was only questioning whether or not this would be a valid
comparison, and it sounds like MP3 is probably OK for plain voice.
Thanks for that answer.

73,
matt W6NIA