This was asked for in the past and it turns out that more people wanted
it the way it is at the moment but it was not really a landslide it was
fairly balanced.

Personally I agree and would like the option to have it track the AF
knob.  But this hasn't really risen to the top of the list (if it even
made the list) considering that it was the less popular option last
time.

~Brett