Julian, G4ILO wrote:

> I have never used VOX. Why would you need to? If you have a fully
> wired serial cable between the K3 and PC then just set WSJT to use
> that COM port and in the K3 menu configure PTT to use RTS.

Julian et al.,

I have always used VOX for WSJT keying, so I tried setting it up for RTS
control
as you suggest above. But when I try to configure the K3 for ether PTT=RTS or
PTT=DTR with NO RS232-controlling application (like WSJT) running, the rig keys
up (and switches into TEST mode automatically as per the manual). If I then
disconnect the serial cable at the laptop serial connector, the keyed condition
disappears.

My conclusion is that the laptop's serial port is asserting RTS and DTR
full-time for some reason. It's a 2-year-old Dell Latitude D820, Core2
processor, 2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, running XP Home. It has one true RS232 port (COM1),
the one I'm using. Flow control is set to NONE, so it should not be asserting
these lines by default. Has anyone ever encountered this?

Bill W5WVO