Humble opinion time...

Having K31 persist across reboots might be a Bad Idea too.  It's a
mode dependency, meaning more than one state might be possible at
start-up time.  This may cause some PC programs to go into brainlock
if K31 responses are not what's expected.  Plain K3; is what most of
them expect (I think...).

Imho, Wayne has this right.  There should only be a single start-up
state.

73,
matt zilmer
K3 #24