I said I was not going to post any more on this subject, but I tried the
K3 command because W4TV reported that it does not send a response when
queried, but changes its CAT response.

I find that the K3 does indeed report the mode as indicated in the K3
Programmer's Reference.  Here is my verification procedure.

Using the K3 Utility, I typed in "k3;" (the GET command)
The K3 responded with "K30;"
I typed "k31;" (the SET command)
No response from the K3 - this is a set command, so no response was
expected.
I typed "K3;"
The K3 responded with "K31;" - this verifies that the K3 is in the K31 mode.
I typed "k30;" - to set things back the way they were
Again typed "k3;" to verify that the command had been properly received
The K3 responded with "K30" as expected.

Again, when Wayne makes changes to not require the mode changes, this
will be moot, but for now, it is the way it is.

73,
Don W3FPR