Don,

I notice that if I have the RF gain less than full CW the S Meter bars are
progressively lit and it looks like the noise level has increased when it
has not. The latest beta is a work of art and should make folks happy but
the S Meter / RF gain interaction puzzles me. Out of habit I do not run RF
gain full out, but for a more accurate meter I guess I will. Can you explain
the interaction?

Dan
AB3EN

Don Rasmussen wrote:

> Here's my look for what its worth. ;-)
>
> I have been following AGC, S-meter, and threshold/slope values since the
> beginning - K2 #272 over two years ago.
>
> Until recently, I have found that K3 sensitivity varied between serial
> numbers and that could not be changed. I suspect this value was not
> measured before units left the factory. I had about 10db difference
> between K3 #272 and #2308.
>
> The s-meter presentation was tied to that difference. A hotter receiver
> would have a higher resting value on a given band that the more moderate
> receiver.
>
> Happily, in the newest limited beta release this has been addressed. The
> RF Gain can be calibrated to the user's satisfaction. It works great. For
> example - tonight on 40m I see the same resting band noise that I'd see on
> IC756p, or OMNI VI+. It is S3.
>
> In the past, the K3 always showed at least 2 points higher, sometimes 3,
> assuming identical sensitivity with my other sets. So, in the past my K3
> would be showing S6 as resting. That was troublesome because I could not
> see how strong anyone was, if it were less than S6.
>
> At my location the single biggest plus with my K3's was getting the
> updated DSP board. That took all the critical adjustment out of THRESHOLD
> and SLOPE in CONFIG and made the default values good everywhere for me.
> The next major upgrade was this latest firmware and DSP that the guys have
> been working on. It allows RF Gain calibration. Very nice indeed.
>
> I did write custom s-meter code so that when the first bar on the K3 is
> solid and the next one is flickering, I can actually see on my remote
> meter the precision of the value as it is swinging up from S1 and down
> from S2. For the most part I find flickering bars to be useless. ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Don
>

> [Elecraft] [K3] RE: K3 S-Meter and Noise
>
> Don Wilhelm w3fpr at embarqmail.com
> Sun Oct 4 19:43:06 EDT 2009
> Jim,
>
> There are 2 reasons I can think of to make that condition 'normal'.
> First is if you have the preamp on for a band where it is not needed -
> that would amplify the atmospheric noise when the receiver has no signal
> present and no AGC is active.  If your preamp is on, try tuning it off
> and see if it makes a difference.  A good test for whether the preamp is
> needed or not is to disconnect the antenna and reconnect it.  If the
> noise level increases when you connect the antenna, there is more than
> enough gain in the receiver - turn off the preamp and try the same thing
> again - if the noise level still increases when the antenna is
> connected, try again but use the attenuator this time.
> If you can just barely hear the band noise, that is the proper gain
> setting for that band at that time and your antennas.  The noise level
> on a particular band will vary, perhaps even on an hourly basis (i.e. 80
> [...]

-----

Dan AB3EN