I found out similar behavior with K3 while testing it for the first
time in SAC contest.

I was sure that the noise was some kind of power line noise or
similar. After the contest I disconnected *all* electrical devices but
noise was still there. Changed to FT1000 Mark V and the band was quiet
while with K3 I had S3 to S5 noise.

It cleared out to be the problem with K3 preamp. Every time when
preamp's turned on, the band are really noisy but switching preamp off
make the noise go away. I guess it's not the "K3 has the best RX"
issue but problem with preamp.

73 de Toni, OH2UA