For contesting, it is WAY more effective to be able to control the DVR
from N1MM than from the front panel of the K3.  It's tiring and wastes a
lot of time to move your hand back and forth between the keyboard and
the rig multiple times for every contact.  For example:

1.  move hands to K3 to press M1 for CQ or M3 for "thanks/73"
2.  move hands to keyboard to type callsign of next caller
3.  move hands to K3 to press M2 for report; wait for acknowledgment and
report
4.  move hands to keyboard to type report
5.  repeat

Requests for repeats add additional motions.

When I bought my K3, I specifically did NOT buy the DVR because I didn't
think it could be controlled from the logger.  Now that I know
differently I'm seriously considering buying one for the same reasons
described by N6ML below.

73,
Dave   AB7E