Dave:

If you are messing with Windows Audio, through a computer's "general use"
sound card, I can agree with you.  Windows often changes settings as you
open and close multiple programs.

However, since I plug the mic into the MicroKeyer directly and its internal
sound card is passing both my live audio and my recorded audio, that is
recorded through that same sound card with the identical settings, PRE AIR
PROCESSING, there is absolutely no difference as long as my voice stays
fresh (which it doesn't, but that's a wetware issue, not a hardware or
software issue).

Granted, you do have to do a bit of "setup" before hand to make sure the
levels are correct (what you call "different without adjusting".  I
adjust!).  I do this ahead of time and lock the settings.  And once I do
this, I don't mess with them again.  I am then guaranteed the same
consistent levels upon subsequent recordings "on the fly" through Logger's
facilities.

I do trim my recordings for canned messages at times as well, especially
numbers and letters, using NCH WavePad.  However, I record the raw mic
signal through the MK2 into the computer and NEVER apply any processing at
all at this point.  The rig's processor and EQ will then handle both my live
audio and my canned audio with the same processing, making them as near
identical as the sampling rate will allow (I am a "audio dweeb".  I hear the
quantizing, but I can rationalize the bit rate!)  This even worked with my
original MK, using a Delta 44 sound card in the computer (NOT the crappy one
on the motherboard or a $19 Geeks.com special).

I most certainly do listen to on air signals with my secondary TS-570
transceiver during setup over RF, although now, with the K3 rather than my
previous TS-850, the local monitor with TX off is pretty darn accurate, in
my humble opinion.

I made my living for over 30 years making sure quality sound and picture was
transmitted over RF and I always made my MCR operators and production audio
ops mix to the off air signal after processing for best accuracy.  So I
understand the issues.

My recordings sound really really close to my live voice (at the start of
the test when its fresh, not after 46 hours of saying "Five Nine Zero Five"
a thousand times, though!) because I put the work in ahead of time to make
sure that they do and leave the settings alone.  Other ops mileage,
especially the incessant tweakers, may vary.

-lu-W4LT-

Message: 19