I put Lipos in my K2 years ago (photos are on my website), they are
still going strong and hold a charge for years. But if I was going to
do it now I would put 4 of the A123Systems M1 LiFePO4 cells in. 2.3AH
and no danger of venting to flame. They can be charged from 14.6-14.8V
and if desired a small balancer built into the rig so no fancy charger
would be required. They can handle large charge currents so as long as
the voltage is not too high the charging system could be as simple as
a schottky diode and current limit resistor.

A nice project Elecraft or someone could do would be to make a kit for
that, with a nice little balancer and charge controller using a micro.
The cells can be reconfigured into series-parallel for charging from
conventional 12 volt sources, that might be a nice additional touch.

-- Alan