"I don't think the additions over the last year used the other 50%."

Actually with various continuing features on (NR, NB, CWT, etc), the current
code has been punching the top.  While all you say (cleaning up, improving
process, etc) is true, the idea of a vast unlimited code execution space is
not.

As inevitably happens with hardware code in a fixed hardware environment
(nature abhors a vacuum), ideas (even genius level ideas) will exhaust
resources and trade-offs begin.  Fast, compact, and resource conserving code
always comes AFTER proven concepts, and is the hardest code to write.

It is quite interesting to watch the Aptos crowd work on this stuff. I hope
people understand the rarity of this publicly aired on-going accomplishment.

73, Guy.