PA3CW wrote:

> speaker? In other words is it possible that the dsp discrimiates enough
> between signal and noise and steers a clean LF oscillator making a clean
> 600hz or so tone?  Is such a setting possible or do i overlook something
> here? Just a little out of the box thinking...

This is easy to do for a fade-free, low noise signal, but you wouldn't
need it for that.  For a real world weak signal, or even quite a strong
one, subject to fading, you would either have to accept highly variable
mark lengths, including missing and false positives, or you would need
to delay the output by several characters, to allow the decoder to get
an optimum solution based on sufficient lookahead.

It's almost certain that a trained ear will be able to compensate for
noise and fade much better than any current digital slicing logic.  Even
then, I suspect the trained ear does rely on lookahead.

This is why morse decoding software is still easily beaten by a human ear.

It would be easier to do for synchronous CW, with all units the same
length, and machine sent code may approximate this, as the transition
points would be predictable, Even then, without lookahead, weak signals
would risk having dah changed into di di and v.v. and etc.
--
David Woolley
"we do not overly restrict the subject matter on the list, and we