Dave,

Before I list a couple of home truths, may I say that I agree with your
comment.

1)
The IMDDR3 data  from ARRL and others is a report of the receiver's IMDDR3
performance, not that of the filter's IMDDR3 performance. The data does
provide some indication that the IMDDR3 performance of filter "A" might be
"worse" than that of filter "B", "C" or "D", but filter "A" itself might not
be the cause of the problem. The filters should be tested as stand-alone
items before putting blame on any particular filter.

The designer of a receiver should know the IIP3 of the filters to be used,
otherwise he is flying blind.

2)
The effects of SLC (Surface Layer Contamination) on the performance of
crystals have been known for many years, and methods used during the
manufacture of crystals to avoid SLC have also been used for many years. SLC
is usually caused by dirt or particles of quartz which has / have not been
cleaned out during the manufacture of the crystal. So called "computer
grade" crystals, which are cheap, can be expected to be contaminated,
because most are produced for non-critical oscillator applications.

"Dirty" crystals if used in a filter will have a bad effect on the filter's
IMD performance and its loss.

73,

Geoff
GM4ESD

David Gilbert wrote on Monday, October 19, 2009 at 8:13 PM