On Oct 28, 2009, at 6:11 PM, Paul Kirley wrote:

> I have just updated my K3 Utility and Firmware to 1.2.10.27 and 3.52,
> respectively.
>
> I wrote two simple macros, which I put into the Utility's Macro1 and
> Macro2 spots...But I now find that either tapping or holding M3 or
> M4 executes a macro. Should this be?

When you assign an Mx switch to a macro (or as a menu shortcut), the
firmware checks to see if that Mx switch now has *both* tap and hold
functions assigned. If not, it sets both of them to the same
assignment (the macro or the menu shortcut). This avoids some
potential side effects. You can always assign both tap and hold
functions to a single Mx switch at any time.

An Mx switch that is assigned to a macro or a menu shortcut is
temporarily unavailable for message play. To restore it to message
play, select CW mode, then tap Mx, tap REC, then tap Mx again. It will
now function for message play in both CW/DATA and voice modes (if you
have the DVR).

> In general, I find the procedure for accessing messages and macros
> with
> M1 - M4 to be confusing.  As I understand it, holding a message M4
> should
> (and did, before macroing) repeat the message on CW, while it is
> necessary
> to hold REC before being able to access the other message M4.  On
> the other
> hand, accessing the second group of 4 macros should proceed merely
> by holding
> M buttons.

Message bank 1 and bank 2 selection (REC hold) is an independent
operation. It just determines which of the two banks are available for
use with M1-M4. But as I mentioned above, once you've assigned a given
Mx switch to macros or menu shortcuts, it is not available for
messages. The others will be.

> Which result should holding M4 produce, if a macro is assigned to
> M4H while a
> Bank 1 message is assigned to M4T?  Repeated message, or macro
> execution?

M4 tap and hold would both produce the macro. To get repeating
messages with M4 you'd have to recover its message function as
explained above.

Wayne