Thanks for the reply Bill, but I'm still confused.

Will you be running more than one application on the W2 through this port?
If not, then what is the purpose of using the emulator program as opposed to
defining a port via the operating system?  (If you are using usb/serial
adaptors, you can define as many serial ports via the operating system as
you like, right?)

Believe me, I'm not being critical.  I'm not a computer jock, and I'm trying
to understand.

I use a logging program that I like very much (DX4WIN), and I would like to
be able to use it at the same time as the K3 utility, both addressing the
K3.  If I understand you correctly, I could make use of the emulator program
to run both programs at the same time.

Thanks,
Dan - W4TQ

Hi Dan,

I am using this emulator program:

http://eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html

I use it to run two seperate programs from one port.  The program allows me
to create a seperate virtual port.  I am using actual port 5 and I have
created a virtual port 9 which can share applications.  The connection to
the W2 is a Dynex DX-UBDB9 USB/serial adapter thru the Elecraft supplied
serial cable directly to the W2 serial connection.

Hope this helps.

73 Bill nz0t