Before getting into the problem description, I have done some homework and
know that others have had similar problems, so I'm hoping to tap into some
experience.  The problem is with high gain in the SSB transmit chain on 40
meters versus 10 meters.  Folks often perceive these problems as high ALC
indications and distortion.

I haven't used my K2/100 much for SSB in the year that I have had it.  Our
club has a 10 m net, so I started checking into that and found my Heil mic
produced light but adequate audio with around 1 ALC bar showing.  VOX was
effectively useless.  A second mic, a homemade electret, had more audio,
moved the ALC about 3 bars and operated the VOX.  Mistakenly thinking this
was all about mic output level, I made a 15 dB preamp for the Heil, and it
seemed to work great.  All that was on 10 meters.

Last weekend, I decided to give it a workout in the SSB SS contest.  Using
the Heil and preamp, things seemed to be going great on 15 m, but as I moved
down to 20 m, the autotuner kicked in a few times unexpectedly.  I was
watching the ALC and had noticed about 5 or 6 bars, which didn't strike me
as a problem.  Nobody complained about my audio, but I think the autotuner
action was due to some serious distortion.

When I moved down to 40 m, the K2 was clearly red-lined.  The ALC maxed, and
the autotuner tried to retune on every transmission, when the antenna was
well matched already.  Finally, somebody let me know that my audio was
terrible.  The poor fellow was doing me a favor, but he was apologetic.  I
guess some folks are sensitive about their audio and must bite your head off
if you comment on it.

I started changing things immediately and asking for audio reports as I
went.  Compression and gain settings in the K2 didn't really matter.  The
preamp had to come out of line and the boom mic was turned out from my face
to get the ALC reading below 5 bars, and finally, somebody said my audio was
OK.  I think at this point, the K2 was set for the -10 dB mic gain setting.
So I had dropped about 25 dB of gain in the electronics and moved the mic
away from my face, pointing it in the wrong direction, before I could get
down to 5 bars of ALC.  The antenna tuner still tried to retune once in a
while, if I raised my voice, so that was the end of the test.  I switched to
my old TS-940 and let it go.

>From reading various posts, it is clear that others have had some problems
like this.  Either under-drive on 10 meters or extra drive on 40 meters has
been talked about on the reflector.  My case seems extreme.  A variable mic
output from +15dB down to -30dB might mitigate it, but this seems a bit
ridiculous.  Besides, there might be something wrong in the K2 that could be
fixed.  I haven't started troubleshooting and am I'm hoping for some hints
to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Rob