Rob,

Yes, there does seem to be something extreme in your problem
description.  The K2 does have the greatest TX gain on 40 or 30 meters,
but it should not drop off so fast on the higher bands.

I would start by removing the KPA100 and testing the base K2 for maximum
power output on 40 meters vs. 10 meters.
If you cannot get more than 12 watts on 10 meters with a power supply
voltage of 13.8 volts, then something is wrong.
Have you changed R98 on the bottom of the RF Board to reduce the
oscillation of output power level with the KPA100 added?  If so, you may
have too large a resistor at R98 (the normal value is 270 ohms).  Use no
larger than the value that does not reduce the 10 meter output level.

You can gain better 10 meter output from the base K2 by mounting T2
above the board (use two layers of foam double sided tape) and wind T2
EXACTLY like the diagram in the manual.

If all else fails, replace the 2sc2166 transistor at Q6 with a 2SC5739
which has greater gain at higher frequencies (new K2s use that part),
but along with that change, increase R46 to 330 ohms.

Your 15 dB mic preamp gain is a little too high - to compensate between
a Heil HC4/5 cartridge and an electret mic, you should only need about
10 dB.  Check the KSB2 board to be certain you have the value of R14 at
its normal 1k value if you are using the Heil mic with a preamp.

73,
Don W3FPR