Hi Rick ...

You will love the K3, and I think you are right on target with your
selection of the ATU, KBPF3 and KXV3A.  I also enjoy some contesting and DX
chasing on CW and have a "no antennas" restriction, so strictly low profile
stealth wires.  I consider the KXV3A a "Must" due to the RX antenna input.
I use a stealth K9AY with this input which makes world of difference for ham
band receiving as well as MW and shortwave.  I don't yet have the KRX3 and
am glad I set the priorities I did.  Given the choice of one or the other,
I'd much rather have the Rx antenna along with the two antenna selection
with the ATU.  The KBPF3 is a good bang for the minimal buck it costs and
will give you general coverage and allow you to use your K3 as a calibrated
tuned RF voltmeter over a wide frequency range for test purposes.

I will someday get the KRX3, but you indicated that you want to keep the
cost reasonable for the time being.  And the KRX3 is relatively costly,
especially when you consider filters for it, which you didn't mention.
Adding the KRX3 with a reasonable selection of roofing filters for the sub
can easily add $1K to the cost of your purchase.

Instead, I'd recommend getting at least two additional roofing filters now
for the main RX, given that your main interests are CW and digital.  I have
the 15K, 1K, 500 Hz and 200 Hz in addition to the stock 2.7 K and am quite
pleased.

My "migration plan" is to first get the P3 next year and then later on the
KRX3.  Given your situation, you may want to consider something similar.

             Have fun!

                                      73
                                                 ... Craig AC0DS