Dave,

Thank you for taking he time to take the measurements nd pass them along.  I
said in my previous post that I had calibrated the wattmeter and it seemed
to help.  Well, it did help some but not enough to completely eliminate high
current warnings and subsequent power reductions.

In trouble shooting I have found that some interesting things.

1.  Going through the tuner part of my antenna tuner adds about three (3)
more amps than going direct through the tuner.
2.  I have set CONFIG:WMTR to the setting (180) that requires least current
regardless of actual external meter indication.  If the setting (160) is
used that indicates 50 watts on the external meter when 50 is set on the
radio, the current is nearly one amp higher.
3.  When the radio is room temperature on 20 meters with 100 watts set, the
current is 20.25 amps when going directly into two different dummy loads.
After about four minutes of 15 seconds on and off the current is 21.6 amps
and climbing.
4.  When using an antenna with an SWR of higher than 1.2:1, the current
warning is always displayed with subsequent power reduction.
5.  I have found the current warning threshold is at about 24.5 amps.

It seems the high current warning only is displayed during RTTY at 100 watts
into less than a perfect antenna while tuning with an external antenna
tuner.  I've never seen the warning in any other mode.  If this is in fact
normal then I'm very disappointed with my K3.  It sure spoiled my contest
effort today.  I've previously learned that the S-meter does not respond in
the way I would expect.  These and 2-3 other issues have left a less than
sterling impression of the K3.  I'm trying hard to like this radio but my
offshore rig doesn't have these kind of issues.

Does anyone else on the list have high current warnings when running RTTY at
100 watts?  If support is listening I sure would like to hear from you.

Jim, W0EM

100W measured on the following bands gives:

160m, 18.1 A
80m, 17.3A
40m, 22.5A
30m, 21.5A
20m, 20.5A
15m, 19.4A
10m, 17.5A
6m, 21.5A

These figures were with 13.5 ~ 13.4 Volts from my power supply as
measured on the K3's display (both for Amps and Voltage).

Power measurement into a 50 Ohm load with a calibrated LP-100 power meter.

73 Dave, G4AON
K3/100 #80