I have been reading all of this traffic knowing that I have never had the
problem.  Finally, just for the heck of it, I pointed my desk lamp at my K3
and can see clearly the cracks radiating from the hole in the plastic of the
audio gain knob.  It has not felt loose (yet) and had assumed that the
problem had come along  well after my early #195 was built two years ago.
Not so, and obviously not a problem of a single batch of knobs.  After years
building radios and having the typical experience of stripping threads in
plastic knobs I am always very very gentle when tightening set screws so I
know that over tightening was not the cause of these cracks.

Don K7FJ  K3 #195