I am working my way through Wes Hayward's book "EMRFD" along with Doug DeMaw's
book "W1FB's QRP Notebook" and am creating a new part order.  Yes, I will
receive discrete parts for my Christmas present.  Since I needed something to
put under the tree a nice box from Mouser would look just fine.  However, I
have run into an impasse.  I need some 2N4416s and some BB104s and find them
either as scarce as hen's teeth or dear enough to make Croesus cringe.  Thus my
request from this auspicious group.  Audacious may be more accurate :) but I
digress.  Long ago (circa 1969) I had a manual for substitutions of various
transistors.  Said manual held substitution charts and specs for a variety of
bipolar transistors.  I was wondering if there are any online sources of
material similar to this manual.  Barring that could anyone offer some
available and inexpensive (think cheap, I am a radio amateur and there are
traditions to uphold!) parts which would fit into the circuits I am trying t
 o craft without too much bias fiddling, reactance matching, or other such work
arounds.  I have some BB105s on the way from W0EB but they do not have the
range of the BB104s (24 - 42 pF as compared to ~1.8 - 2.8 pF)  Varactors seem
to be getting as scarce as the old fashioned variable capacitors unless one
wants SMT.  Soon I will be using more SMT but for now I would like to have
larger parts.

My queries:
1) A varactor with a range similar to the BB104 in a leaded form.  If leaded is
not available I will go with SMT.
2) Lists of transistors and FETs with fT and power ratings, etc.  I want to
explore VHF and UHF VFOs even though I do not hope to tame one.  Much like
tilting at windmills impossible challenges are interesting and pleasurable
pursuits.  I am not mad (at least that is what the voices told me :)
   Thank you for any assistance offered.
      73,
         Kevin.  KD5ONS