Jerry,

That answer depends on which set of "specifications" you want to believe.

I am saying that the Absolute Maximum Specification for the Maxim
MAX1406 for Vss (pin 8) is -14 volts - you can check the data sheet for
yourself.  Yes, many KPA100s exceed that value - note that the KPA100 DC
voltage chart lists the nominal voltage at U4 pin 8 at -22 volts.
Whether that is a cause for failure of the chip is reason for
speculation, there is not enough data to say yeah or nay. .
What I have offered is a way to reduce the Vss voltage to the MAX1406
without also reducing the bias voltage to the KPA100 T/R switch.  That
involves removing D8, and D8 alone.  The data sheet Electrical
Characteristics current for pin 8 (Iss) is typical 185 uA with a maximum
of 500 uA. for a Vss of -13.2 volts Minimum to -10.8 Maximum - that is
not a lot of current draw on that pin.

I am stating that a Vss (U4 pin 8) voltage less than -14 volts exceeds
the Absolute Maximum Voltage rating per the MAX1406 datasheet - nothing
more and nothing less.

73,
Don W3FPR