I am listening on 17 meters SSB right now and Europe is coming through mostly S-7 to S-9 on the TH-11. I can tune to an open spot in the band or just above the top edge of the band and my S-meter has one bar. This is with the pre-amp off. The band width is 2.1 khz. Even at 2.7 khz I stay at one bar but to my ear I can hear just a tiny bit more background noise which seems logical to me. I had the RF gain at maximum for the test. Obviously if you have some noise backing the RF gain off is the way to go.

I like to listen with the shift at FC 1.40 rather than 1.50. For me a little shift is always more pleasant to listen to. I also always did this with the FT-1000D and TS-950SDX
that I previously owned.

IMHO what more can you ask for?

When I switch to the dummy load at normal volume I can barely tell the radio is on. I have zero bars on the S-Meter on
the dummy load.

I did these same checks with #1037, #1096 and #3423 and I can hear no difference. They are all very quiet! Of course a factor here is I live in a rural area where man made noise is low! I sure don't expect my K3 to be quiet if I have man made noise other than things you can do with the NB, NR, AGC and bandwidth.

It has been my experience over the years to "NOT" use the pre-amp on any HF radio unless you are out of audio gain. The FT-1000D did not have a pre-amp and the only place for me it was lacking was 10 meters. For me I just don't hear more at 10 meters and down with a pre-amp. For me it just brings the noise up with the signal. The only place I have seen a big benefit from a pre-amp is above 28 mhz. Obviously the K3 benefits from a pre-amp on six meters.

Ed W0SD
08:33:00