I believe the test results but the reality to me is in the real world it does not make any difference on HF below 10 meters.

I don't use the ATU, all resonate antenna's here. If using the amplifier no ATU into the amplifier so that is not an issue here.

The 4 db mentioned with the pre-amp I am sure is accurate but I can not hear the difference and I have a nice quiet location. IMHO you can't get a quiet rx with a pre-amp as the background is going to increase when you turn it on. It would be fine to get more back ground if the signal was better copy. However for me I can never remember a case where turning on the pre-amp made it possible to copy something better than without it other than 10 meters and up and I have a quiet location out in the country. My opinion is based on working all DXCC countries, 5Band WAZ, lots of contests, operating 160-1296 and higher with about 300,000 qso's in the log and being on several Dx-peditions. I just say this to validate I have been blessed to be able to do a good deal of operating in the real world.

To me there is a limit to the improvement you can get in the real world on an antenna when you have atmospheric and man made noise. Again I have chased weak signal DX for a long time and I have never found a time the pre-amp helps below 10 meters on recent vintage radios. It may help others but it does not help me. For me it is just tiring to the ears to listen to the extra background noise with the pre-amp on.

For me the key point is that you can make legitimate tests that show a difference in a test set up with test equipment but in the real world listening on an antenna even at a very quiet location it just isn't going to show up.

The fact is that probably only 1% or less of hams have very quiet locations so they just amplify man made noise when they turn on the pre-amp. To get a benefit you need a very low noise floor and there is a limit on HF even at the most quiet location.

I will stick to my "GUNS" and say the pre-amp does not help me any below 10 meters and only makes it more fatiguing to listen to ( roughly 3-S units more background on my K3 meter) and I am blessed with having a quieter location than I suspect 99% of the hams have. So the bottom line I think for most if you want less noise is to turn the pre-amp off. If it does make a difference for you(I does not for me) it will be a very small percentage of the time so why not leave it off 99.9% of the time if background noise is an issue for you.

I think most of the persons having problems with listening to the K3 are because of what I will call "pitch" or put another way what they trouble setting it so it is what they like to listen to. Here is a real world example. Operating at TZ6EI this past summer on six meters W7XU was having trouble with the K3 "noise" with the six meter pre-amp. He likes to copy a low pitch 300 hz, no more than 400 hz on cw. The background noise was driving him "NUTS". I had him adjust the shift to lower the "pitch" of the noise and he was perfectly satisfied and we are talking about hours and days of weak signal copying with headphones.

Ed W0SD

08:33:00