> I note that all except the K3 show the taper from 1600 Hz to
> the upper passband edge that follows something similar to a
> "pink noise" spectrum.

That's fairly clear but since 1600 Hz to the top edge of the
passband is less than one octave it is difficult to determine
if the roll-off is "pink" (-3dB/octave) or "brown" (-6db/octave).

> It is interesting that the K3 Norm does show some falloff, but
> not nearly as much as either the FT-2000 or the MK V or IC-706.

I should not that the roll-off in the "Norm" setting for this K3
(S/N 622) is due entirely to the roofing filter.  If I make the
same measurements in LSB, the LF end of the spectrum will be
similarly effected and if I run the tests on my other K3 there
will be a slight (<1 dB) valley in the midrange.  Roofing filters
are never absolutely flat but a 1 dB ripple is nothing to be
concerned about.  Even the "wide" setting has some ripple but not
enough to be numerically significant given the resolution of
Spectrogram.

> I am ready to conclude that the K3's ultra-flat in-passband
> response is the cause of several of the "noisy" responses.

I don't know if it is the cause of the "noisy" responses but it
is probably to blame (along with the headphone response) for the
perception that the K3 is "harsh" sounding.  Since the human ear
is most sensitive in the 2000 - 4000 Hz octave, the flat response
of the K3 is perceived as "more noise" by someone using SSB or
CW with wide filters.

> That can be easily handled by shaping with the RX EQ if one
> desires.

The most critical RX EQ band is 2400 Hz.  Even setting it to
-4 or -5 dB without any change at 1600 and 3200 Hz does a lot
to "warm up" the audio and make it sound more like other rigs.

> I do data modes frequently, and prefer the flat response of
> the K3.

RX EQ is disabled in DATA mode.  If you use DATA A instead of
USB you can adjust RX EQ at will for SSB and not effect data
mode response.

> The audio response above the filter passband apparently has less
> influence than I had originally expected.

I don't know about that.  I can clearly hear several of the
ADC clock products even though they are 40 dB or more below
audio in the voice passband.  They stand out clearly ... as
much as 20 dB above the "out of band" noise level.  There is
also considerable dynamic "program related" noise in the
stopband that I'm looking to clean up with the lowpass filter.

However, I suspect the audio response is only marginally related
to the "noisy receiver" complaints.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV