Jim,

You say that when you do the S-meter calibration the gain control operates as
you expect, but is somehow different otherwise.

First, I hope you mean the rf gain calibration, which isn't calibrating the
S-meter but trying to compensate the ill-defined gain v. volts curve of the
JFET i-f amplifier.

Nevertheless, after doing this, what are you changing that makes the
difference?  Is the AGC is the same state, i.e. on or off both ways?

Wes

Hi

Looking for some insight.

K3 #  1189
FW revs 3.68
KAT3
KBPF3 main reciever
KDVR3
KIO3
KPA3
KRX3
KXV3
S-Meter in relative mode.

The problem is with the main  RF gain. If I turn down the Main RF gain S
meter goes up as expected, the gain is  heard to decrease and seen to
decrease by Spectrogram. So far so good.

When I keep turning the gain down the  S meter will increase to S 30 (Rf
 knob position 10 o'clock) When the knob position reaches 9:30 the S meter
drops to S6 and the gain comes back up both heard and seen by spectrogram.
Further movement will decrease the gain to zero as heard and seen but the S
meter stays at S6. Increasing the gain the reverse happens. This is true in
all modes.

The sub acts normally as heard and seen by spectrogram and the S-meter acts
as it should.

I suspected the main encoder? I set both the sub and main to the main RF
gain encoder. The main acts the same as before. I expected the sub to act
like the main indicating an encoder problem but the Sub worked exactly as it
should.

During  the Smeter calibration the main RF gain acted as it should. Turning
down the gain the s meter goes up, gain goes down as expected with smooth
movement no jumps or lags.

What I have done twice so far without any improvement is
Fresh reload of firmware
Reset to Factory norms
RF Gain Calibration both main and Sub redone
S Meter reset using XG2 main and sub

What should I look at next I really thought it would be the encoder.

Jim
VE3AJ