Jim
I've had exactly your problem (and sorry for rather late response).
I'm using Windows (so it's not that) and it's not the encoder/pot, it's the
rf gain calibration.  I've posted on this before and there's been a change
to the rf gain setup since f/w 3.27. Wes has also mentioned that fets have a
somewhat uncontrolled gain characteristic.

I redid the rf gain calibration but using factory defaults rather than an
external sig gen and that cured it.  Only trouble now is the S meter
over-reads above S9+10 by up to 20dB.  But I can live with that.

It's interesting (spooky?) that you have #1189 and I have #1198.....

Graham