Hello everyone.  I purchased my K2 kit about 4 years ago and as life would
have it, I rarely have time to work on the beast except during holidays etc.
 More time for amateur radio would sure be nice, but I'm not near retirement
and for some reason I keep getting pesky bills in the mail.  Anyway here is
my situation:

1) I am at the Alignment and Test, Part II portion and trying to get through
the 4 MHz Oscillator Calibration section.
2) When I take a freq. measurement at TP3 for the PLL with the frequency
probe, I get a reading of ~12650, obviously way too high.
3) I inspected parts, soldering etc and cannot find a fault.
4) Decided to do some signal tracing and performed a measurement of the
reference oscillator signal on pin 1 of U4.  My reading is .51, instead of
the expected 0.8-1.8. Vrms.

So my question is this:

It seems that the 12650 measurement is so high that it may be an indicator
that the X1 crystal in the PLL oscillator is defective. However, with the
low reading on pin 1 of U4 I'm not so sure about the crystal.  Could the
increased frequency reading at TP3, cause the voltage drain on the U4 or am
I barking up the wrong tree?

I've looked through the email archives and haven't found anything quite
similar to my issue.  I hate to start pulling stuff apart if the crystal is
the issue and would like to hear what others think of the problem.

Thanks, 73 and Happy Holidays!

Byron Viets
N6UI