Dave,

You should use the line out connector. The level on this output is not
affected by the AF gain controls, whereas the level on the headphone
output depends on the AF gain controls and also on whether or not you
have headphones plugged into the front panel (since the two are in
parallel). The line out level is adjusted from the CONFIG:LIN OUT menu
item (it's a set and forget adjustment). Using the headphone connector
also disables the speaker, whereas the line out connector does not.

A simple stereo cable should do fine. If you have a sub-receiver and it
is on, the right channel will carry output from the sub-RX; the left
channel is always the main RX. Most sound card software defaults to the
left channel, but almost all software can be configured to use the right
channel instead, and either by running two instances of a program or
with software that supports dual channels, you can receive independently
on both receivers.

If your sound device only has a mono microphone input, you might want to
check whether the right channel is used to carry a DC voltage, and if it
is, you would leave the ring disconnected, but otherwise, a straight
stereo cable should work fine.

73,
Rich VE3KI