Jim Brown wrote:

> Now a brickbat to Elecraft. Speakers are individual products, they
> don't come wired with 3-circuit plugs, and as noted above, it's
> not easy to buy parts to build adapters. What Elecraft SHOULD have
> done is provide TWO output jacks, not one. They played cheap (or
> dumb, to the extent that they were ignorant of the marketplace).
> Now to fix it? Rebuilding the I/O panel is costly. A better fix
> for their design error is to provide the unique breakout cable
> that is required.

I disagree. Many non-amplified "computer" speaker pairs are available with a
stereo 1/8 phone plug. The ubiquity of this jack as the output on PCs has
made this connector a de-facto standard.

I do not feel this is a weakness in the design. If one can't find an
acceptable (to him/her) pair of speakers with this plug, Then just get the
"Y" adapter at the Shack, cut the ends off and rewire as needed.

Most Amateurs know which end of the soldering iron to hold, right?

This whole thread has outlived it's usefulness, IMO.

Bruce N1RX