Giulio,

The load impedance was probably extremely low, and at full power on
this particular band, the power-handling capacity of the 8.2-MHz IF
trap was exceeded. It's possible that the trap was mistuned (too close
to 40 or 30 m). Note that L10's winding is adjusted at the factory and
should not be moved.

If you contact support, replacement components (L10 and the associated
capacitor) will be sent out immediately. Support can also explain how
to adjust the trap to 8.2 MHz (or the parts may be pre-calibrated as a
pair -- they'll let you know).

As a precaution, I will also be modifying the ATU matching algorithm
so that it catches this case, preventing excessive reflected power
that could damage the trap. I'm guessing that the load SWR was in
excess of 10:1 or 15:1 at the time -- the KAT3 has a *very* wide
matching range, and probably presented something close to 1:1 to the
transmitter.

73,
Wayne
N6KR