Hi Tom,

Well, I have a K3 noise blanker story for you.

About two months ago, I suddenly had an S9+20 line noise problem
around here.  I knew it was some type of failed Edison equipment, or
maybe something at a residence.  It was loud enough to hear with a
stubby for ANT1, and on 80m through 30m under any conditions.

I had to diddle the K3's noise blanker a bit to get it dialed in
right, but I finally killed the crud on the Main and Sub receivers.
There was a residual amount of distortion;  I had never run the NB
this aggressively before - never had to.  However, effectively the
noise was blanked down to S7 or so on 40m where it was the worst.  And
it made 80m usable again on CW...

In a few days, an Edison power quality tech came out and located the
noise source.  Some customer-owned (but unused) transformers on a
citrus farm a few blocks from us had open primaries.  He had the feed
to them disconnected and notified the owner that they needed to be
replaced (they weren't working anyway).  These transformers were used
to power irrigation pumps, so the owner got the problem cleared up
right away.

I was completely amazed how well the NB works under very difficult
conditions.  May no one else have to find out how well this feature
works in the same way or for a similar reason.

73,
matt W6NIA
K3 #24
K2 #2810

Except for being a paying customer, I have no formal affiliation with
Elecraft.