I think the noisy issue derives out of our quite old analog listening
habits and expectations.

I would estimate for easily half of the reflector population (my real
guess is 75%), that their listening to radio career began with an
analog HF radio that didn't have enough gain to present ambient
antenna noise over receiver noise except on the lowest bands.

Without exception, these were tube radios whose circuits didn't
flat-top overdrive, just round it off, and whose audio transformers'
response gradually died over 4 khz. There were no sudden transitions
in any of them save the few lucky enough to have a crystal filter for
narrow reception on CW.

As another has stated, the sharp limits of selectivity, vast extents
of audio response, and enough receiver system gain to bring anyone's
10 meter outside ambient noise up to full audio,  were ideals, frankly
just not attained, or in some modern radios curiously avoided (knew
something?).

Quite a lot of posted complaints here had at their roots one single
issue: on the lower bands,  a typical metropolitan area RESTING
outside ambient noise level is S2 S4 and S8 on 40, 80 and 160 meters.
In the K3 attenuator off, preamp on, and RF gain at full results in
ambient noise fully engaging the AGC and remaining at full audio on
160 through 40 and possibly on 20 as well.

If RF gain is full, and preamp is on, the receiver is set to present a
quarter microvolt as full loudness, and anything higher than that
REDUCED to full loudness.  This means that outside ambient noise on
160 will always be at full loudness, and also at full "shrill" given
the wide audio response.

This was the first complaint about our contest group's first exposure
to an Orion, and for all practical purposes the ONLY one.  Nothing in
second or third place.  Once we knew we had to PURPOSEFULLY REDUCE the
receiver gain (settings for preamp, attenuator, RF gain)  for the
lower bands to reduce the outside ambient noise to 1/4 full volume,
the Orion became imminently superior to the MP's we were using at the
time.

This remains true with the K3, even though some stubbornly continue to
insist they shouldn't have to reduce the RF gain. With the Orion,
those settings (including the RF gain) could be remembered by band.
Many Orion users will tell you that the RF gain, once set moderately
for their locale's ambient noise per band, is never touched again.  In
effect it was "calibrated" to their local noise. Remembering ATT and
PREAMP by band is close to the Orion's flexibility.

On my K3, to set 160m ambient noise in a 500 Hz bandwidth to 1/4
audio, I have to turn off the preamp, turn on the attenuator, and
reduce RF gain to 2 oclock.  Then it's just as quiet as my ancient
tube analog receiver.

The discussion about fatiguing audio becomes a completely different
subject, once proper reduction of gain to match ambient noise is taken
care of.

73, Guy.