Hi Daniel and all,

I have all four Elecraft rigs, including internal ATU's.  The ATU in the KX1
is the least effective of all of them.  While my K2 and K3 ATU's can tune my
R7, which is optomized for around 7130 khz on  40 meters, to nearly "flat"
on each end of the band (the R7 has fairly sharp tuning on 40 meters), the
KX1 ATU struggles at each end of the band.  I've borrowed a 2nd KX1, and
gotten much the same result, so I don't think it is just my particular ATU.

In such a small package, it's not hard to understand why the KX1 ATU might
not be nearly as versatile.  The ATU in the K3 is the best of any internal
ATU I've ever had.  The K2 ATU is also quite good.  The ATU in my K1 does a
"fair" job, but I've always been somewhat suspect that I might have a small
problem with that ATU.  Occasionally it acts like it doesn't want to
activate.

Since my R7 on 40 meters seems to be a good application for an ATU when
doing wide excursions on the band, maybe it would be interesting to see (and
plot) how each rig's ATU performs across the band.  It's also interesting
(to me at least) that my K3 ATU will tune the R7 on 80 meters.  The K2 might
do that, but I haven't tried it.  Obviously the R7 is very inefficient on
75/80, but at least the radio seems happy.

The bottom line for me is that the KX1 ATU is useful, but not very wide
ranging.  It may work better on some other types of antennas.  I'm glad I
have it, but some situations probably require an outboard unit that is more
versatile.  Since I use balanced feedline type antennas a lot when I am
portable, I usually have an outboard tuner for that reason.  I really like
"Z" match tuners for QRP use.  The NorCal BLT is a good one too.

Dave W7AQK