The other day I was receiving a very loud (S9+10) Jt65a signal from a local
station and was noticing that his signal seemed to be modulated by a
commercial radio station. So I was just about to send him an email saying
that he had a problem, when I adjusted the RF gain, turned the ATT on and
turned the PRE off. His signal was now sweet.

So I switched to another sound card - and still the same result after I had
reset the controls again.

Then  I remembered that I had set the NB on (dsp off) and IF to Wide 7 and
as soon as I had turned the NB off, his signal was copied just fine. What I
found was that setting the IF to Wide 7, Med 7 or Nar 7 gave rise to what
only can be described as intermodulation.

The reason I use the NB at all is because my neighbour has one of these
solar pads that heats his swimming pool on his roof, and the pumps in it
generate this ta-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa noise (like an electric fence, but
faster) - and I just leave the NB one most of the time, because my
neighbours also own behemoth plasma TV sets :)

So two questions:
 1) has anyone else noticed spurious intermodulation in DATA mode when the
IF NB is set to the 7 level - or have I got a fault?, and
2) Is there a beginner's guide to help me understand how to use the NB
effectively - at the moment, I just spin the dials until the noise is gone.

thanks, Julian VK4CMV