Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:15:50 -0600
From: WW2PT <ww...@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Elecraft Amps
To: lawrence libsch <llib...@bellsouth.net>
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
delsp=yes

I'll weigh in, just in case the Aptos crew is taking notes and
counting votes. ;-)

An off-the-shelf, high-end appliance to compete with THP or SPE would
be a high-cost, low-volume, low-profit venture, something I would not
want to undertake in the current economic conditions if I were CEO of
a small company like Elecraft.

Personally, I'd love a small (500w or 600w) solid-state amplifier kit
that I can build myself (a *real* kit, with soldering iron and
everything!). Some of us don't have the time, tools, and/or smarts to
homebrew such a creature on our own and would jump all over a kit like
this. It doesn't have to be anything revolutionary, just a simple amp
built around MRF150's or whatever. Base model would work with any rig
to make it appeal to the mass market, with options to expand
functionality (built-in ATU, K2/K3 interface, etc.), kind of like the
way the K2 is marketed -- buy what you need. If it could be sold for
less than a comparable Ameritron, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

73,
Paul WW2PT

No virus found in this outgoing message

Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (6.1.0.25 - 6.14340).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/