Actually, the K3/10 is far less expensive than its nearest competitors as far
as RX performance from what I can see. Even to get close, you have to spend
5 grand (i.e. for a Flex plus computer, some of the top end rigs from the
big three, etc). In fact, the only RX I've seen that exceeds the K3 on
anything (at least on paper) is the Icom 7800 - and at that it seems to only
have a higher IP3 and falls behind elsewhere. And that rig will blow a
possibly fatal sized hole in your savings/retirement account, etc.

Er, so I'm a little mystified by the thought that the K3 is expensive or
just has too much stuff in the box and needs to be pared down?

Seems like the highest bang/buck ratio, far far and away, available in
amateur radio already from what I see. Just don't plug in the mike or key hi
hi...

73,
LS
W5QD