Hi Tom,

Sorry, maybe I didn't say some of what I should have.  My reasons for
using Ethernet are similar to yours, at least when it comes to the K3.
IP can be routed, where USB and serial (alone) cannot.  This gives us
the option of remote operation, the main goal.  Whether for a K3 or
other devices, the advantages may be the same.  I haven't tinkered
with the RemoteRig yet, but I've been thinking about it.  A complete
"at-least-voice" solution for remoting is my eventual goal.

I agree that remote keying is probably not an option.  I haven't even
bothered trying that...

Was just trying to answer Don's question about latency.  Because of
the buffering, it is more an issue than with USB.  Serial is probably
best of all - a dedicated interface with little overhead.  If I had a
serial port on ANY computer, I'd be using it on the K3.  Instead I use
a four-port Prolific-based USB-Serial adapter for most K3 (and
related) things at home.

73,
matt W6NIA
K3 #24