You are certainly right that there would need to be some intelligence added
in on the hardware side.  Some of the newer pic controllers like the
pic18f87j60 (I happen to be playing with that one now) have much of the
functionality built into the controller and there are libraries for the
routines, so it is not such a big hurdle.  It would have to me made a
priority by Elecraft and I am not so sure that there would be enough bang
for the buck for them to justify the work.  I for one would buy an add on
board that went right in the radio for say $100 or maybe even a little more,
but I doubt I am in the majority.  I also would doubt that there would be
enough people interested....even at that price.

Ethernet is  definitely be something I will be looking for in future radios.

I purchased a Datacom Networking ATC-1000 recently and had it working with
the K3. It is an ethernet to serial port bridge device.  It worked fine as
long as I was just talking to the K3 with one application, but as soon as I
had its virtual port being referenced by LP Bridge there seemed to be too
many layers of virtual ports and it became unstable.  I did not spend a lot
of time trying to get it to work.  That is on my todo list.  I think I might
be able to get it working well with some tinkering of the settings.

Ken KE3C