I have spent considerable time trying to nail down PSK31 operation with
my K3. I have made some Q's, but questions remain.

My setup is a K3, MicroKeyer (Router 7.2.4) and DX4WIN 7.03. I use the
AF4TY PSK app. included in DX4WIN. I have pestered Ira, K2RD who
recently co-rewrote the setup guide for MicroKeyer, and he has been
graciously helpful with my many MK issues in the past. What I would like
is to reconcile what is in the K3 Owners Manual (rev. D5) with what is
in the MicroKeyer (MK) setup guide, and to fully understand and access
my data mode options.

Page 31of the K3 Owners Manual, under /Data Mode Selection, /suggests
that soundcard-based data communications can utilize either LSB/USB or
DATA mode--in this case DATA A. (PSK D does not appear to be relevant to
this discussion.) Tonight, with K2RD's help, I achieved transmitted PSK
using USB mode. The MK Router setup guide appeared to be incorrect for
this approach, as follows. Step 3 instructed to assign the /same
/(virtual) port for PTT as for the Radio, but Ira instructed instead to
assign a /separate /virtual port, which was necessary to place the
Router in Voice mode during transmit to allow keying the K3. This
appears to be OK, but it will require some on-air operation to verify. A
minor annoyance is the necessity to zero out Compression, which is
performed automatically in DATA A mode.

Several days earlier, I had managed to achieve PSK output using  TX DATA
mode with DATA A mode--but I have been unable to duplicate that success!
I believe I succeeded at that time by following the instruction in Step
3 of the MK Router setup guide to assign the /same /virtual port for
both PTT and the Radio, but now the MK remains in Digital mode and there
is no output when TX mode is initiated.

I would like to use DATA A mode so as not to have to remember to zero
the Compression and would also like the option to use AFSK RTTY, which
would also require DATA A. (For RTTY, I have avoided this issue by using
FSK with MMTTY, and I have so far had no interest in text decoding.)

I regret that I find the Data Modes discussion in the K3 manual to be
thin and incomplete, and therefore confusing.

I am sure this audience can fill in the holes.

Garry, NI6T