The computer cable for the K2 requires only three wires connecting
pins 2, 3 and 5 on each end. The other pins must not be connected
since the KIO2 signals on these pins are not RS-232 capable.
Connecting them to an RS-232 connector will cause damage in the K2.

The K3 can use a standard RS-232 cable. A standard 9-conductor
straight-through cable will work just fine.

AD5SS is correct. While the KRC2 and Transverters can connect to the
K2 using a short straight-through cable, you need a two conductor
cable connected to the K3's Aux IO port to use these devices with the
K3.

Hope this helps.

Jack Brindle, W6FB
Elecraft Engineering