Hi Brett,

The following loss figures might influence what you do. Figures are
from Wireman's published reference book but can be found in numerous
sources.

Coax      dielectric         Loss for 100' @ 150 MHz  Notes

RG58U     solid pe            5.1 dB       solid center conductor

RG58AU   solid pe             6.8 dB      stranded center conductor, 19 strands

RG400     solid teflon         4.8 dB      teflon jacket, center cond
stranded silvered copper, double silvered copper shield, spec'd in
aircraft cabling

RG58 type    pe foam         4.9  dB       "CQ" brand sold by Wireman,
typical value for store brand foam

RG8X type    pe foam         3.5  dB             "

RG8 type     pe foam         1.5 dB              "

LMR500   pe foam             1.2 dB      High grade .5 OD 50 ohm coax.

If one is forced to use RG58/59 sized cable for various
considerations, and particularly if exposed to weather, as in
tie-wrapped to brakelines and such for a mobile installation, the 1.50
per foot RG400 is superior, used in aircraft cable assemblies for
VHF/UHF and is flexible enough to go around bends without deforming
the dielectric. It is also flame-proof, and cannot be overheated to
melting while soldering or melted by proximity to hot engine/exhaust
components.  It uses RG59 adapter (UG176) for PL259. Since all the
conductors are silver plated, minor water ingress does not ruin the
cable as silver oxide is highly conductive vs. copper oxide which
turns the shield into a green series resistor.  Unlike some of the
older high grade cable, RG400 is still being made new and can be
bought by the foot on eBay.

73, Guy.