Hi Steve,
I own a fully loaded K3 with a LP-PAN/PSDR panadapter.  I agree, the
LP-PAN/PSDR combo make existing panadapters on most rigs a joke.  192 KHz
bandwidth, sensitivity down to -140 dbm and frequency resolution down to 10
Hz all in real time, at a screen refresh rate of up to 50 fps.  Add serial
port through LP_Bridge and you have "point-n-click" rig control for ultimate
search and pounce operation.

I also purchased the FTdx5000MP.  It came with the matching SM-5000 Station
Monitor.  After using the K3/LP-PAN/PSDR combo and comparing it to the scope
display on the SM-5000 I too must admit that the SM-5000 is very
disappointing.  There are a few restricted bandwidth modes that improve the
displayed sweep speed at the sacrifice of displayed bandwidth but the
overall performance is poor at best.  So in the words of Tim Allen (1990's
Tool Time TV Show) I rewired it!  With the help of Larry (N8LP) I ordered a
LP-PAN unit with a Xtal that supports the FT5000 9 MHz IF output.  Larry
delivered the assembled unit to me within a week.  My FT5000 with
LP-PAN/PSDR works FB (same functionality as with my K3/PSDR combo).  The
panadapter on my FT5000 is no longer a joke or disappointment.

Since I was the first to get LP-PAN/PSDR working on the FT5000, Larry asked
if I would send him a photo of the station to post on his web site.
http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html  I also uploaded a PDF file to
Larry's site that shows photos of the SM-5000 display compared to the
LP-PAN/PSDR tuned to the same frequency and both set to 100 KHz bandwidth.
The link is located right below the photo of my station at the link above.

I love my K3 and now that I have LP-PAN/PSDR on the FT5000, I'm acquiring
the same affection for it too.  The scope has so much impact on my operating
performance that I'll never again purchase any rig that isn't provisioned
for one.  I need my "Radio Eyes".

Best 73,
Frank - W6NEK