I am not familiar with the Palstar tuner, but can share with you my
experience with the K2/100 external tuner and with the Flex 3000
internal ATU. The K2 external ATU was excellent/outstanding in its
ability to "match" just about anything. The F3K tuner was junk, and I
ended up buying an external "Armstrong" type roller tuner. The key to
success in the tuners that rely on relay switching of
capacitors/inductances is for the switched reactances to be fine enough
for the bridge circuit to find an appropriate selection amongst them.
This becomes particularly important on the higher frequency bands, e.g.
10 and 6 meters.

My F3K found it impossible to match my 6 meter quad, which is a fairly
high Q antenna. I am assuming that the K3 which I have on order will be
as good as the K2 external tuner was...we shall see, but knowing
Elecraft, I think I am on OK ground.

WRT portability, an external tuner is just one more piece of stuff to
carry along...this may be an important consideration for you (or not)
depending on whether you plan to use the "portability" feature of the
K3. I would opt for the internal tuner.

Best,

John Ragle -- W1ZI