If one has used the KAT2 tuner in a K2, and unconsciously set one's
general level of tuner expectations based upon that kind of
performance, one has set a level that not many achieve.

My KAT 2 has matched random Z's that I could not match with an ATR30
or ATR15, an FT1000MP, and alas no, not with my K3 auto tuner.

On a 160m way-off-of 50 j0 dual wire antenna, the K2 would match it at
the feed (running battery of course), and it was a month before we
could construct a rather odd tuner that would do it QRO without
burning tape and wire insulation, overheating, cracking or arcing to
toroid cores successfully used elsewhere in QRO applications.  We were
encouraged by K2/KAT2 working stuff QRP on it and listening to a band
that was "alive" with signals.  Reading the tuner elements used for
match off the K2 menu was invaluable as the wires were picking up
immense signal levels interfering with the antenna analyst we had at
the time.

It took a PAIR of immense T400A-2  powdered iron toroids
fiberglass-taped-together as a single core and double polyimide wire
plus teflon tubing on the winding to tame it (and run absolutely stone
cold), but we knew it would work and how it would work from the KAT2.

The one area where nearly all fail (including the KAT2)  is the very
low Z's presented looking through an odd quarter-wave length of
standard coax at a high Z.

The simple mental model of   *Rig -- great tuner -- any frequency --
any length of coax -- any antenna*   is VERY hard to achieve in real
life.  If the front of that string is dictated by non-negotiable
issue, then the antennas have to be picked carefully to fit within it.
 God bless ya if the first thing you throw up does it, write that down
in your diary as one of your really lucky days. It's not the rule.

73, Guy.