Stan,

Welcome to the Elecraft reflector.

Your techniques may have been just fine, but only time will tell.  The
insidious thing about ESD is that it can partially damage components,
which shortens their life.  The fact that they do not fail immediately
does not mean that your anti-static measures were effective.

The use of both a wrist strap and an anti-static mat is highly
recommended by Elecraft - what more can I say, it is like an insurance
policy.
Each will have to make their own decisions and take their own chances.
Ask yourself how much you are willing to gamble on your K3 investment?
and then you will have your individual answer to whether to invest in an
anti-static mat or not.

My goal is to provide prospective K3 builders with information like the
above.  For myself, I work on other hams gear, so I would be remiss if I
did not use a good anti-static mat on the workbench.

73,
Don W3FPR