> It's (at least was when I was still working) common to use heel straps as
> part of ESD protection in industry.

Last time I saw heel straps in use was in the late 80s at a site that
builds solid fuel rocket motors for military and aerospace uses. They
also had testing equipment to check that your shoes really would
dissipate any static charge. When you are in a bay with a booster
containing 600,000lbs of fuel, static discharges are discouraged.

Mark  AD5SS