On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 23:58:42 -0700, Kok Chen wrote:

>The usual reason given for using a separate sound card instead of the
built-
>in speaker/headphones of the computer is so that chimes, alert sounds and
>music from the computer don't accidentally go out on the air (especially
>when the transmitter is keyed through VOX).

There's a simple fix for this. Go into Windoze Control Panel, open the
"Sounds and Audio Devices" setup screen, click on the "Sounds" tab, and
select "No Sounds" for the Sound scheme. Click OK and you've slain that
dragon.

>Just connect the line-output from the sound card to the line-input of the
>K3 (note that the K3 line-input is a mono jack) and connect the line-output
>of the K3 to the line-input of the sound card, and you are done with
>connecting your computer to the K3.  Turn on VOX for DATA-A, and you are
>ready to go after setting up the audio levels.

Yes. I've always used the sound card built into my Thinkpad laptops for PSK,
RTTY, and to play voice messages for SSB contests. Works fine.

See my tutorial/app note on Ham Interfacing for simple wiring methods to
avoid hum, buzz, and RFI. http://audiosystemsgroup.com/HamInterfacing.pdf

There's nothing WRONG with using a Signal Link or something like it, but it
is money you don't need to spend if you follow the simple directions in my
tutorial.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC